I think I’m kind of a Quick Developer, kind of making things quickly (good side) or leaving things unfinished if not finished quickly(other side). So ‘Alone in the Night’ turned out to be my yet another quick project out of a quick idea, and done quickly i guess.
Concept Art for AITN
One interesting thing is that i kept a DevLog Text file, which i update with things i did that day or that time. Its kind of Boring but later when you look at it, you will be amazed you did all those and made those stupid mistakes and all (First thing i learned). Try that when you do something next time.
I’m giving the whole Devlog here and will add Notes here & there to point out something i learned or find interesting.
Latest Build Fixed Ver 1.01
– Inception of idea
– Done the Rain
– Random Raining
– Random Collision & rainsplash
– Created Car, Concept art & Gradient sky & ground
– tested with right/left keys
– Done some tweaks in rainsplash
– Car size Reduced
– wheels to be done
The Entire Stages of Demo – Scene From GameEditor
– Added Car variables
– wheel speed anims added
– changed drop splash color
– velocity & friction tests
– Added Start menu
– Looks good i hope..
– Startmenu exit menu Animations Ok
– little problem with exit menu
Paint.Net – Pretty Neat & Great image editor to do stuff easily. A lot many simple graphics
(and some complex ones) were made in this simple free software.
– Exit menu problem solved
– Framerate drop detected at startup
– got to do the Mouse click events
– Bird & Tree Images Added
– Rain drop transperancy Removed
– improved Performance
– hitMenu added
– collision & deflection added
– Title created
– title anim created
– Title mouseover effects added
As game progressed, the number of Scripts grew larger, its a mess to find any bugs here.
– Game icon added
– bird anim added
– initial movie settings
– bg added
– dialogues added
– Nothing else done in past few days due to interruptions
Note : Interruptions Occurs, but later when you come back only then you realize the value of the Comments and Proper Variable names. Comment & give Long Meaningful names to variables, even it seems extremely Boring & unnecessary.
– Tried to replace dialogs with more effects
– Can’t get the desired effect
– going to sleep
– Flip switch added
– Flip switch implemented
– sleeping security added
– Hint restructured & dialogs
– New tools in use
Note : Playtesting is highly Important. You’ll never know how they will play it no matter how perfect the game you think it is. On second level, i put the bird on a tree, just drove away the bird by honking horn and next stage comes. My cousin got stuck in this level, don’t know what to do. So i changed it to a Switch, and bird sitting on that switch. & Lots of hints.
– Stage fixes
– Time reversal Testings
– Position tweaks
– Demo release works ongoing
– Sounds Added
pacdv offers a few instrumentals for you to use royalty free. They just ask that you mention “Music by www.pacdv.com/sounds/” in your credits.
Note : I decided to record sounds & Music (!). Even recorded Rain sounds. But not quite good. So thought of searching for music & sounds online. There exists lots of great quality sounds and music online. So why make all things myself, lets add some more people in the credits.
– Sounds of Bird, Metal hit, wooden hit Added
– Menu hint added
– Cursor change added
– car sound added
– car start sound added
– Fixes Camera Transition Speed. Thanks to my Friend Parameswaran.
– Final Build (of Demo).
Note : Hope you have enjoyed it. Working on some other Games.